Liquid | Author
Liquid | Author is a word processor designed from the ground up to make you a better and more productive student, providing you with a minimalist environment to help you concentrate on your work and with powerful controls:
- Instantly add a citation and allow your teacher to instantly check your citation, even to the point of playing a video citation instantly from the point in the video you are referring to.
- Instant outline, just pinch your document. Then re-arrange as you see fit.
- Cut anything, never loose anything. Just cmd-shift-v to see everything you have Cut.
- Unique Instant-Find. Want to find something, perhaps the first time a keyword appears to see how it's defined? Select text and cmd-f to see all sentences with the selected text. Click on a sentence to jump to it or click in the margin to dismiss.
These features (and more, below) gives you more credibility when writing and more clarity when reading.
Author Video Demo
You can also have a look at the User Guide on YouTube
Author Feature List
- Automatic Outline, just pinch to collapse the text using your trackpad and then re-arrange your document at will.
- Quick Citation Creation. Select text and cmd-t to add citations for academic papers, books, web and video citations.
- Quick Citation Check. Click to see the source, including having video citations play inside Author, from the moment cited.
- Cuttings. Cut anything and cmd-shift-v shows you everything you have cut, though not anything you have deleted or copied or even cut then immediately pasted.
- Instant find with cmd-f on selected text which changes the view to only show sentences with the searched for text.
- Liquid View to view your document in a powerfully new way.
- Reading/Edit Modes for specific interactions to make both modes more powerful and pleasant, such as spacebar to move down a screen in Read mode and select text and spacebar to have the text spoken to you.
- Comments for authors.
- Annotations for readers.
- About Document Cover On The Back Of The Document with the document author's details. Two finger horizontal swipe to flip the document to see this document 'cover'. This is saved as 'About This Document' so other applications can use this information too.
- cmd- / cmd+ to scale all the text. You cannot change colour or size of specific text in Author since Author is a writing application, not a layout application. Yes, that is a feature, not a bug.
- Formatting including bold, italic, alignment and lists.
- Modern Architecture including auto saving and everything else you would expect from a modern, native macOS application including iCloud Drive (sync with Author iOS in the future)
- Warm background to reduce eye strain. Note that in full screen mode your eyes will quite quickly adjust to the cast so you will enjoy the benefit without really noticing anything different.
Fast and innovative keyboard interactions:
- Triple click selects the sentence, not the paragraph, since testing shows you are more likely to select a paragraph with stripe select.
- Double click between words to select both words.
- Export to DOC, PDF and RTF
Text Analysis Analyse documents for sentiment,
such as as:
- Level of writing, as done by www.hemingwayapp.com
- Suggestions for simplifications
- Reading time
- LiveText where you can make sentences conditional. For example, if the sentence contains a date you can choose to have a different sentence after that date (initial sentence: "In June we will...' and post-June sentence: "In June we planned...". This can also be done with numbers in sentences, where a % number change can result in a different result when clicked and edited (sliding up and down), as Brett Victor has demonstrated
- In Table of Contents mode (pinched out view) when reading, mouse over a heading to see the first sentence in that section
- Backwards scroll with companies and people being automatically replaced with pictures or logos for visual search
- Final Cut Pro style 'Auditions' for paragraphs so you can write and re-write and decide later which version you want to keep
- Ability to collapse lists
- Write and edit mathematical equations
- Key-logging - log all your keystrokes in a separate part of the document so that you can come back to view any part of your earlier writing.
- Optional quiet sounds effects to make interactions feel more substantial, including on pinching the document
- ‘Insert Current Location’ command to quickly geotag entries
- Assistant Mode: Choose a type of document and Author will ask you questions to fill out the document (AI implementation of Templates)
- Move command. Same as Cut & Paste but with previous clipboard being restored
- Support for images, video, audio and interactive charts. Click to expand full screen and arrow keys to advance, for instant slideshows
- Easy multimedia such as inclusion of maps reflecting data
- Tufte Sparklines integration with live feeds for various data sources
- When importing images they are automatically OCR'd for text in the image which will then be tagged to the image for searching/views
Deep Citations Support
to give your work even more credibility
- Statistics and analysis of citation in the citation dialogue to instantly get a feel of the cited source
- Integration with Amazon, Mendeley, Zotero & EndNote
- Views using meta-data to extract relevant timelines from the text such as the name of a king would automatically be tagged by his birth, death, marriage, children and possibly location changes
- Turn on external timelines for context, from Wikipedia or the users own data
- Live Word Count with Goals (time based and word based)
- Text Expander integration
- Taptic , Touch Bar and Touch ID support for Macbooks
- Built in basic vector illustration functionality
- View as Slideshow for simple presentations
- Link Types
- Link Analysis
- Link to Paragraphs
- Linking to other, local documents using relative addressing
- In-Document Link. User chooses text and in the ctrl-click menu and chooses Tag/Link/In-Document and in a sub-menu is presented with all the headings in the document. Choosing one makes this a link to that location. The bottom of the list is 'Un-Link'.
- & more since links are as important as what they link
Advanced Document Management
- Keep track of your documents with quick and powerful visual tagging in the Open and Save dialogue boxes: Choose which documents you want to see by clicking on the associated tags
- Tag document by visual types for visual framing to make them look like notes, books etc in the Finder.
- Visually connected documents, as inspired by Ted Nelson's Zig-Zag and Xanadu
- When documents are longer than screen (roughly) the name becomes bold in listings, to indicate it's size
Advanced Voice Interaction
- Text to speech in Read mode in macOS on selected text with space bar. Space bar again to pause text to speech. Smart play allows you to then press the space bar again to continue where you left, but at the start of the current sentence. Arrow key left to go back one sentence and start from there.
- Text to speech in iOS so the document can play as a podcast
- Easy to add voice Notes into document, saving voice audio and transcribed text. Picture listening to a document, from a colleague or from a student, while commuting and being able to insert your comments as both transcribed audio to text & as the actual voice, to show your real emotion behind what you are commenting on...
Apple Watch /General Smartwatch Integration
- Read Documents with easy Headings Zoom
- Voice Transcription (tagged as such) for quick insertion into document
- In classroom and similar situations the watch can track student engagement
- Themes for text and colour styles, editable in Preferences
- DropBox backup and synchronization across devices
- Evernote integration
Richer Export Opportunities
- Automatic Bibliography with multiple citation styles
- Export with Paragraph Level Addressability
- User-Configurable Templates
- Export as plain text, rtf, html, ePub, .doc, .pdf & more, optionally using markdown
- Share to WordPress, Facebook, Twitter & more
- Plagiarism check to make sure your references are cited
Learn more about The Author Project:
Invest | The Project | User Guide | Academic | Liquid View | Liquid Glossary | Author iOS